“I feel that some unseen force is running my life, dictating what I do and how I feel, think and behave”
What is anxiety?
Anxiety is what we feel when we are worried, tense or afraid – particularly about things that are about to happen, or which we think could happen in the future. Anxiety is a natural human response when we perceive that we are under threat. It can be experienced through our thoughts, feelings and physical sensations.
Most people feel anxious at times. It's particularly common to experience some anxiety while coping with stressful events or changes, especially if they could have a big impact on your life.
What are the symptoms?
- Shortness of breath
- Heart palpitations (rapid or irregular heartbeat)
- Trembling or shaking
- Nausea or abdominal distress
- Dizziness or unsteadiness
- Feeling of detachment or being out of touch with yourself
- Hot flashes or chills
- Fear of dying
- Fear of going crazy or out of control
Help should be sought when;
- Your anxiety affects your daily life, stopping you doing the things you would like to do even the mundane things
- You have had the feelings for a long time
- Your reactions are out of proportion
- You avoid certain situations
- You regularly experience the symptoms above
- You constantly think that things are going to go wrong